Friday, December 4, 2009

Re: Nature Writing

2. Krakauer observes that it is not “unusual for a young man to be drawn to a pursuit considered reckless by his elders.” Explain whether McCandless would agree with Krakauer.

Ideas: If I used this prompt I would explain how many young adults are often reckless and rebellious in a sense. They are free, and feel like they are invincible. I would then go into ideas on how McCandless wouldn't agree because he seemed to like being different from everyone else.

3. Do you feel, as one letter writer did, that there is “nothing positive at all about Chris McCandless’ lifestyle or wilderness doctrine …surviving a near death experience does not make you a better human it makes you damn lucky” (116); or do you see something admirable or noble in his struggles and adventures? Was he justified in the pain he brought to family and friends in choosing his own solitary course in life?

Ideas: When we talked about this in class with Randy, we established that this would be two prompts. However, I think both can be answered. If I answer the first question, I think I will go in depth with how his adventures were not admirable because he hurt so many people during the process. He seemed extremely selfish at some points and never seemed to care for other people's feelings. If I answered the second question, I would talk about how he brought so much pain to his family and friends and how he didn't really think at this point in life.

No comments: