Thursday, February 18, 2010

6

Choose one character from The Grapes of Wrath and list four important quotes said by or written by this character. Explain what you believe these quotes reveal about the character.

Tom Joad

Like to know anything else? I'll tell you. You ain't got to guess. I'll tell you anything. Name's Joad, Tom Joad. Old man is ol' Tom Joad.

When he says this, he sounds like a very open person. I don't think I would tell any random truck driver my name and my father's name.


I'm just tryin' to get allong without shovin' nobody around.

This quote implies early on that he might have an aggressive background, but he really doesn't want to get involved with anything.


An old turtle. Picked him up on the road. An old bulldozer. Thought I'd take 'im to my little brother. Kids like turtles.


When I read this, it made Tom seem like he really cared about his family, and that he was actually looking forward to seeing them.

I'd do what I done-again. I killed a guy in a fight. We was drunk at a dance. He got a knife in me, an' I killed him with a shovel layin' there. Knocked his head plum to squash.

You ain't ashamed of nothing then?

No. I ain't. I got seven years, account of he had a knife in me. Got out in four- parole.

These quotes give me the impression that Tom Joad does not care that he killed a man, since it was self defense. I think he gives off a tough guy aura.

No comments: