Thursday, June 17, 2010

Semester Reflection Part 1

What have you learned about the way you learn, work, and/or collaborate?

Over the course of this year, I learned a lot about the way I collaborate with others, specifically through Ampersand. During the Ampersand project, I was elected to be one of the project managers, which required much time, effort, creativity, and patience. Before I volunteered for the position, I understood what it was like to be a project manager (stressful, time consuming, creative, fun,etc.) because I was a project manager for Media Saves the Beach (MSB).

However, I was surprised by how different an Ampersand project manager was from a MSB project manager; I had to collaborate with many more people, including CEO's, teachers, writers, and my fellow co-managing editors. I noticed that at times, there was frustration and stressful incidents, and through these critical moments, I learned that it is best to be patient and thoughtful of others. As a leader, it is critical that you are aware of other people's advice and thoughts, not just your own. You have to listen, be patient, and be aware that your ideas may not always be best.

I also learned that to collaborate well, I need to be less critical. And to this day, I have taken in other's ideas without defense. When I critique other people's projects, I also give them specific and kind feedback which not only helps them, but their project as well.

What project was most valuable to you, and what have you gained from it?

To me, the most valuable project was Media Saves the Beach. It combined Biology and Humanities into one project, and made it fun, creative, and interesting. I personally enjoyed learning about how clean our water is, and how to determine that using the A-F grading system. The Biology also made me aware of how sensitive our world really is, especially because of the toxins and chemicals we use selfishly. It gave me an idea of how my generation will soon care for our planet, and that ignorance among us is not acceptable. As of now, I take reusable bags to stores, and I am more aware of recycling. Before, I am sad to say I did not know what exactly went into a recycling bin but now I have a clear understanding of what I need to do.

I also learned much writing information. I was unsure of how to write a photo essay, especially since the portions were divided up into five photos. But as I took photos of sea life animals based on my essential question: "How is San Diego affecting its animals in its coastal ecosystem?" I understood that creative writing was necessary for a beginning anecdote, and I really showed it through my introduction:

Wildlife thrives in the coastal ecosystem of San Diego. Above sea level, cars race through the bustling city whereas below sea level, the calm current sways, carrying a couple of seahorses to another plant. These small and graceful animals use their dorsal fins to flutter around the bottom of the ocean and eat small fish, plankton, and brine shrimp. However, an alarming amount of seahorses are often harmed by poachers and by an even larger issue: industrial pollution. Industrial pollution affects the food chain because toxins disrupt life from small as algae to as large as whales. In March 2009, a large grey whale was stuck in the San Diego Bay because it lost track of its herd migration. In turn, many speculated what the whale’s source of food would be. Luckily, the young grey whale found its way out of the bay but issues like this spark some San Diegans to question how we affect our coastal animals, especially in their damaged habitats.


My photo essay for MSB also was a catalyst for my later photo essay for Internship, which sparked even more creative writing.

Describe in detail one significant academic challenge you faced this year. Why was it a challenge for you? Go in depth, use specific experiences, and explain.

One significant challenge I faced this year that affected my academics was the amount of stress I put on myself. This can be seen through several projects, maybe all, but especially my Engineering toy project. During this project, my first partner was out for days due to a cold. When he returned, he had to make up tests and quizzes that he missed before, so he missed out on helping build our toy. When he finally came to help, he did not have a full grasp on what the toy would look like, what dimensions it would have, etc. So, in turn, I had a lot of stress put on me which was, in fact, very unnecessary. My teacher switched another partner into my group, who learned quickly what we had to accomplish. In the end, our toy was fabulous. But, I wish I could have been calmer at the time.

This has also been seen in my Math Projectile Motion project. When the project first began, I was out for the first week due to surgery and a cold so I missed a lot of information. When I finally came back, I was completely out of line because I had no idea what projectile motion was and how I could catch up. Since my partner knew most of the Math, we decided he would do the Math, and I would write up the outline and final paper. This turned out perfect, because through my writing, I was able to decipher what projectile motion was and how I could solve it! However, the amount of stress I put on myself that week was insane, and I drove myself crazy, so next year, I definitely need to not worry as much.

No comments: