Thursday, September 3, 2009

Re: American Icons: Resources

Posterart: Audrey Hepburn's famous Breakfast at Tiffany's photo became incredibly famous for it's elegant and classic charm. Being one of the most sought out and sold photos, Audrey Hepburn's face is even in household living rooms. The portrait, along with another photo of her, is sold at Ikea and quite possibly many other stores.
The posterart has reshaped some of movie posters today because no movie poster has been as famous as Audrey Hepburn's.
While Audrey was a model, and had many beautiful photos, this one was by far the most famous. With this information I propose that I can use the poster art as an inspiration to the 8x10 black and white self portrait I have to take myself. I think that I'll take the little black dress, thick jewelry, and hair concept she has.

Breakfast at Tiffany's: Audrey Hepburn's legendary movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's, is widely known for her acting. She's an inspiration to most actors because she is the only actress who's received 4 Oscars, which is a lot in the Hollywood career. For my artistic statement, I'm going to use this resource to see how everyone else viewed her, and how I relate to the millions of viewers who idolized her.

Audrey Hepburn: The Paramount Years by Tony Nourmand: Tony Nourmand's book gives an overview of all Audrey Hepburn's movies and includes photos, magazine covers, lobby cards, costume sketches, and even more memorabilia. It also includes short essays on the importance of the woman and how she had a lasting effect on pop culture. I'll use the information from the book to help give evidence in my writing piece.



Barbie invention: Ruth Handler was mostly known for her creation, the Barbie doll. Usually when people think of Barbies, they think of little girls and the big time company, Mattel. Although, since 1949, Ruth Handler has been the original inventor. When her daughter was young, Ruth realized that children used dolls to act out the future instead of their present life. So one day, she went into a Swiss shop and found a German doll which was not for young children but instead- adults. Ruth decided to buy it and reinvent it for young girls, and in a New York toy fair came the debut of the Barbie doll, named after her daughter Barbara.
With this information, I would like to use it to tell the original story on how the woman created it.

Dream Doll: The Ruth Handler Story by Ruth Handler
The fact that the book is written by the orginal inventor helps tremendously because it gives me a chance to hear her perspective of the creation or "dream doll" as she called it. I could use this to interpret her ideas through my artistic statement and portray how she viewed it as a "dream doll", while others viewed it as a nightmare.

Black and white photo: For the photography portion of the assignment, I could use the black and white photo of her in a room full of Barbie dolls. She's younger in the photo, with a necklace of pearls and a black dress, with an old fashioned hair-do. I think that I could use these elements and give the same aura of the photo in mine.



Website: http://www.ameliaearhart.com
The Amelia Earhart website written above is considered the official site for her. It contains information on what is going on today with information on Amelia Earhart. I could use this in my written piece to discuss what goes on today in tribute of her.

20 Hrs. 40 Min., Our Flight in the Friendship: The American Girl, First Across the Atlantic by Air, Tells Her Story by Amelia Earhart
Amelia Earhart was not only a female aviator, but an author as well. And in the book she wrote, I could find her perspective on what she thought about being the first to cross the Atlantic ocean.

Photo: For the photography portion of the project, I would use the photo of her near an oldfashioned airplane. I think I would have to photoshop the airplane into the background because there are not many left today that I know of.

No comments: